Friday, September 7, 2012

Assessments

In your child's backpack today, you'll find two notes:
  • A letter from Longfellow about the Kindergarten Readiness Test (KRT):  This was the test your child took during the summer.  We used these scores to balance our five homerooms.  The letter also mentions DIBELS, which was administered this past week and helps determine the first Passport to Reading groups.  We regroup every four weeks after that, using new information.
  • A note from me:  This is the information I use to drive my instruction.  Over the past week, I've assessed children on some basic information so I know what to teach them and what they already know.  I'm impressed!  Please work on the highlighted items at home.  Most will be graded on the 1st trimester report card, though we really hope all kindergarteners know their upper- and lowercase letters by mid-October.  Flashcards or a game for just a few minutes at night can be a big help at school.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!